Correct Posture When Playing the Piano
Let Go of Unnecessary Tension
Center the piano bench to the width of the keyboard. The bench must face the piano squarely. Sit toward the front half of the bench. Relax your feet and keep them flat on the ground from heel to toe. Keep your weight centered on your buttocks. Relax your shoulders and arms, keep your back straight, and sit so that you can smoothly move everything up to your fingertips.
Adjusting the Height of the Bench
It is difficult to play with your wrists and elbows positioned much lower than the keyboard. Adjust the height of the piano bench so that your elbows are almost level with the keyboard.
Bench at appropriate height
Bench at incorrect height
Imagine Your Hand Holding an Egg
Place both hands on the keyboard. Imagine holding an egg in the palm of your hand. This is the correct hand posture while playing. It relaxes the hands and allows you to play smoothly.
Correct positioning of the hands
Musical Instrument Guide : Piano Contents
How to Play
How the Instrument is Made
Choosing an Instrument
Care and Maintenance
- The White Keys and Black Keys Were Reversed on Pianos in Mozart's Day
- Did Mozart's Piano Have a Pedal-Board?
- Piano with Automatic Accompaniment System in Beethoven's Day
- The Pianos Beloved by the Great Master, Sviatoslav Richter
- The Optimal Material for Piano Frames Is Also Ideal for Motorcycle Engines
- The Piano Soundboard Is a Board that Also Stops Vibrations
- Why Can't There Be More Than 88 Keys on a Piano?
- Why a Grand Piano Keyboard Feels Heavier Than an Upright Keyboard?